There are a number of safety measures in place. These include, but are not be limited to:
- Whittling is exclusively a supervised activity
- ALL knives must be brought to Alley in the morning at drop-off to be kept in a single safe and controlled place until a teacher is ready, able, and willing to supervise
- Students must first pass a multi-point supervised safety test before they are allowed to whittle
- Whittlers must create and maintain a safety circle around their body and work area
- If a safety measure is breached, whittlers must retake the entire multi-point supervised safety test.
- If a trust measure is breached, such as bringing all knives to Alley in the morning for safe storage, that student will not be allowed to whittle
As you well know, I am as deeply committed to the safe and proper use of tools as I am to the use of real tools. However, if you DO NOT want your child to be involved in this particular activity, please simply communicate this directly to me AND to your 5/6 so that we are all on the same page.